So today we had a little potluck at the apartment. I made enchiladas and spanish rice. it gave all of us roomies a chance to chat a bit and relax from our busy lives. Well not mine, I have not started school at the moment and so I have plenty of time. Rachna a friend from Nebraska is also here in Louisiana and I had a chance to catch up with her about her move and her life.
So some interesting things...
*I was at a meeting and bieing from California, people tend to not pray in public places. So this meeting begins with, "can we all bow our heads." My first thougth was who died? What happened. I quickly learned that we were just simply praying for the meeting. Even though I knew that this was going to happen here in Louisiana, it still toook me off guard. I went to a catholic college, and we still never prayed before class. I know that this is going to happen in some of my classes, and I am going to a public college. This just seems so wierd to me. But anyhow that is how things are.
*So I had an empty water bottle, and out of instinct was looking for the recycle bin in my apartment. Well it turns out that no one recycles here in Louisiana. I know this is a very California thing, but still, come on people.
*So I went to the supermarket today and realized that there is not a way to tell who the employees are. They have no uniform, like what i am used to. I mean they were all African-American, so I guess that is how people tell, but still. I think I am used to the work force being Latino in Cali, and it is the same story here in Louisiana, but with the African American community.
*So we are setting up a Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) alter in the apartment. Once it is complete, I will post pictures!
In other news...
I leave tomorrow for Nebraska to visit friends and to attend the National Federation of the Blind Nebraska Convention. I am really excited to see many people there and to have a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment