So nothing terribly exciting happened thus far, but I did learn a great lesson. So I went to sit in on a class that I will eventually be taking. The topic was about teaching Orientation and Mobility to blind children (basically teaching blind children how to use a cane, navigate on their own and do other such things). The professor was talking about who the children are that suffer the most from the current way that the educational system teaches blind children. So basically it turns out that 85% of blind children have some sort of vision, the other 15% are totally blind.. So I was one of that 85%. These students are the ones who are cheated the most out of the educational system. For example, children who are totally: blind learn braille, how to use a cane and methods to get around being totally blind (these are called alternative techniques). Children that have some vision are encouraged to use their vision and are rewarded when they can visually identify things, and scolded when they cannot. They are taught to hide their blindness and many try to pass as sighted. They are never told about braille as an option, or about using a cane. The ones that really lose out are the children that are exceptonally bright. They are performing at an average rate, but they are capable of so much more, and are not given the opportunity to show it.
I am not trying to be a victim, but I think that is exactly what happened to me (not that I'm trying to say I am really smart, but yeah ha ha). During elementary and so on, I was performing 'well' in my classes. But I missed so much information. If I would have had the tools that I have now, I could have done so much more. I don't regret anything in my life, but I do feel that this is unfair and that this should not happen to children. Imagine if we limit the next great minds. just because we are lowering our standards for them? We are going to miss out on a whole lot of talent. This my two cents.
No comments:
Post a Comment