Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Rants

So Thanksgiving is over and the holidays are upon us in Louisiana! Lets start off by saying that Louisiana is a great place to be. The fact is I am not from here and feel the need to comment on every aspect of life and culture. I am sure someone could do the same thing in my community (oh wait, they have).
In Ruston there is not that much to do. So what do people do on their free time? They eat. Not just eat, but deep fried, battered, soaked in oil eat. Don't get me wrong, I love the food here, it is amazing, however can you say obesity? Louisiana is the most obese state in the nation. And we could assume that well its a personal choice, but the fact of the matter is that it is not. Louisiana is also one of the most poverty stricken states. Is there a correlation here? There definetivly is. Poverty leads to obesity, as opposed to popular belief. There are more obese people in our world, then there are starving people. But i digress. My point being that when peple are in poverty, they tend to eat fast food more often, and cannot afford the more expensive healthier food. All of this also leads to health problems and lack of education. So just a little heads up, if I gain a million pounds while here, I will blame it on the culture! ha ha.
Another interesting note is how the south is so proper. You could call it proper or patronizing. Did you know that in the state of Louisiana it is state law for school children to call their teachers yes and no sir, and yes and no ma'am. Not that there is anything wrong with being proper, but don't we have bigger fish to catch? Louisiana's educational system is one of the worst in the country and they focus on proper speech! ok then.

But besides form my little rant. Today is the first day of classes. However, I am not yet registered for class. Yes I barely got accepted into the school about a day ago. How does this happen? My answer to things seems to be, "well its Louisiana." And I am very familiar with how this culture works. This is just like Mexico. Whenever I visit Mexico or have anything to do wiht beuracracy dealing with Mexico I cringe. The fact is they don't have it together, and neither does Louisiana. Don't get me wrong, people are really nice, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment